The issue a lot of parents have is trying to keep their children active and entertained mentally as well as physically during Summer vacation. Another issue that arises during Summer vacation is the cost of entertaining your children. These issues are common among several households especially in single parent households.
Don't be discouraged. There are several free and inexpensive things you can do with your child(ren) in NYC. However, you need to know where to look and where to go so you can take advantage of those hot and humid summer days. Start planning in advance. Ask your children what they are interested in doing this Summer. If you are like me and never know what to do, make a suggestion box. This will help to develop ideas for the entire. Together you can create an activity list. Then when you are alone,you can begin to create your daily trip/activity planner. Try to do all of the activities and try to go on every outing you put on your list.
Here are a few ideas to help get you started. Some are free and some have a fee.
- Have a picnic
- Make and fly a kite
- Have a scavenger hunt (find things in your neighborhood or home from A to Z)
- Game night
- Go biking, walking or jogging.
- Learn facts about each month; learn about holidays and observances across the world and find a reason to celebrate. This activity is fun, but also educational.
- Take a trip to the zoo. New York has a zoo in each borough
- Bronx Zoo (At one time Wednesday admission was free. However, they suggest you make a donation). Click here for hours and rates.
- Central Park Zoo. Click here for hours and rates.
- Prospect Park Zoo. Click here for hours and rates.
- Queens Zoo. Click here for hours and rates.
How will you keep your child(ren) active and entertained this summer?