As parents we are our children's first educators and it is important to stress the importance of education. We must encourage our children to read throughout the summer. During the school year our children are required to read every day and night for a certain time during a certain time. I believe we should continue that process during the summer. However, the process should be relaxed. Allow them to read at their own pace. Do not set a required number of pages, do not allot a time frame and most allow your children to read what he or she wants as long as it aged appropriate. The key is to make reading enjoyable.
There are several ways to implement and encourage summer reading:
Lead by example and read a book too. You cannot expect your children to do something that you are not doing. This will also give you all something to discuss. The children can tell you about his/her book and vice versa.
Visit your local library. All of New York'c public libraries have implemented a summer reading challenge/program. There is a recommended book list for the summer reading challenge and can be accessed via the websites. The book lists is arranged according the their grade level. They also recommended book list for adults. Click the links below to access the book list for your children as well as for yourself.
Recommended Summer Reading Book List and Reading Log
- Kindergarten-5th Grade and Reading Log
- Middle School and Reading Log
- High School and Reading Log
- Adult Fiction and Nonfiction
Also, there are several organizations that participate in Summer Reading Incentive Programs. These programs encourage children to read, earn free books and even money to buy another book. Click the links below to familiarize yourself with each program and determine which one is right for your child. You never know your child may want to participate in of them.
Summer Reading Incentive Programs
- Read 10 books with TD Bank and earn money to put in your Young Savers Account. Use their reading log to document the books your child has read. Print the log and take it to the bank by August 31, 2014.
- Earn a free book when you participate in the Barnes and Nobles summer reading challenge. Your child must read 8 books and document them using their reading journal.
- Enter for a chance to win a sweepstakes, earn rewards and prizes when you register and participate in the free online Scholastic Summer Reading Challenge.
- Pizza Hut has also launched a Spark your Greatness Summer Reading Challenge. Your child can participate in activities and enter for a chance to win some prizes.
At the end of the day, it is all about feeding your mind
How will you encourage summer reading?